Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lets Be Real

Some of the most amazing moments of musical worship that I have ever experienced take place while I'm driving in my car.  I can sing with abandon, tears streaming down my cheeks as I reflect upon the abiding goodness of God.  But almost without fail, when another vehicle approaches my drivers side window, I quickly gather myself and act as if I'm not having a powerfully authentic meeting with the maker of the universe in my vehicle.  Apparently, it is more important for me to appear "normal" to strangers than to exhibit any real vulnerability and uniqueness.  This is just one of countless examples of how my social inhibitions relegate the Spirit of Christ that is within me.  Another example occurs in my daily interactions with acquaintances and casual friends.  I have often longed to share with someone, anyone, what is going on within my soul during times of intense inner-stirrings only to respond to the question "how are you?" with "fine...small talk, small talk, small talk".  Its gotten to the point that I'm sick of trying to whitewash my raw humanity.  I realize that I am not the only one who lives my life with such bland, surface dwelling interactions with the world outside my closest friends and relatives.  This is how I was trained to act around people.  But what if the Christian's most ripe opportunities to proclaim the Good News with their lives came at these moments?  What if by our attempts to appear radically un-extraordinary, we were denying others insight into our human struggles and revelations that often unveil the incarnate presence of God?  I would invite you to try with me the bold exercise of being who you truly are.  Not to annoy or inconvenience others but to stand out as a witness to them of your need for, and insights about deeper realities.  For the truth is that God is moving in the hearts and lives of His people far more powerfully than most of us have the guts to reveal to the world.  Perhaps the very way you or someone else will experience hope, humanity, grace, or mercy is by watching you be courageously real.  Give it a shot and pay attention to what happens. 

4 comments:

  1. Amen! I believe our closest encounters with Him are MEANT to be shared, so that others can benefit as well. And not only that, but He gave us to eachother for this journey here on earth; why we would we deny ourselves and one another the joy and the strength that comes from that?

    How can we be effective witnesses if we hide the truth of what He is doing in our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pastor Ray; let us praise Him in ALL things! <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haleeluyuh!!!! I accept the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A thought-provoking challenge, Ray. Even in Protestant seminaries, where Christian leaders are being trained specifically to pass on the faith, what often gets passed on is theology, church doctrine, and methodology. Less attention is given to the all-important practice of faith-sharing even though the most enriching, illuminating, and faith-building moments of our spiritual journeys typically occur when we ourselves experience God’s presence or witness someone else’s experience of God. But how do we Christians break through that inhibition that keeps us from sharing or from being authentic and vulnerable in our daily witness? One way might be to intentionally create with a few other people a comfortable environment that facilitates faith-sharing on a regular basis so that the practice becomes more natural and familiar to us and less threatening. As our own faith is built by the witness of others and as we become more confident in our own witness, we will be transformed, I believe, by a God who promises to be present where two or three are gathered in his name. We will have a better sense of who we are and how God needs us to be “courageously real” in daily life.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are eagerly encouraged. However, any comments that do not address the post in some way or are inappropriate for whatever reason will be removed.