Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter and Asher

Yesterday, before my newborn son was fully 1 day old in this bright and frightening world, we read to him the Easter story.  We sang songs of the resurrection hope in our hospital room and I preached to him because he was the most important church for me to be with that Sunday morning.  Later that night outside our house, as he and I were beneath the dusk, I told him about the beauty and brokenness of the world he was entering.  There is so much that I look forward to when it comes to being a father.  Everything will be new and amazing because of Asher in my life.  But today, I am most excited about story telling.  For some reason it doesn't feel like I need to wait for Asher to be old enough to understand the english language to begin telling him The Story.  Not just because he will develop language skills by listening to adults speak or because the sound of daddy's voice is comforting.  Telling the story is as important as hearing it.  If the story can't be told to a little one like him, it is really no story at all.  And hearing the story before we can piece together its full meaning is not something unique to babes.  But as much as I will enjoy telling the story to him every day, he will undoubtably teach me its meaning and purpose more than anyone I've ever known.  Hallelujah.        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are eagerly encouraged. However, any comments that do not address the post in some way or are inappropriate for whatever reason will be removed.