Sunday, September 25, 2011

Journey toward Wholeness

There are things about me that I sometimes wish would just magically be changed.  Vices, struggles, characteristics of my fallen state that I would rather not have to deal with.  There are powers that rage within me that reek havoc for myself and the people I care about.  Why was I made this way?  Why can't I pray my way out of this difficult condition of the body, mind, or soul?  I even become frustrated and angry with God that I'm not "fixed" when I ask to be.  Shouldn't God be just as interested in delivering me from human weakness as I am?  But I'm finding that the Lord doesn't always heal and transform me according to my specifications and timetable.  My creator's idea of making me whole might even be more advanced and informed than mine!  He knows my inner-workings, my intricate design, my inside and out.  Sometimes this means that I need to expand my expectations of what God's healing might mean for me.  It might not include an instant and drastic miracle with satisfying before and after photos.  It may not even look like a steady improvement between what I was and what I will be.  God's ministry to me may hurt, it may require deeper faith, it may demand a higher level of humility, discipline, or inter-dependence with others.  God may not give me easy solutions to a complex issues because my journey to wholeness may bear more fruit over the long haul than in the short term.  And while I believe that we will be made whole in the blinking of an eye at Christ's triumphant return, perhaps it is more important in this life to follow in faith the wisdom of an eternally Great Physician than to be set on experiencing the perfect health we're so intent on achieving.

3 comments:

  1. Ray, I guess I have never seen this vice side of you. I know you are not perfect, but I have always encountered you as more in line with what I desire to be.

    All of this to say, what ways do you embody following "in faith the wisdom of an eternally Great Physician"? I would be interested to hear how you work with God on becoming whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray,
    I think sometimes we are so focused on wanting to be "healed" that we can't focus on what God is trying to do. (easier said then done right?) I am just as guilty as wondering why God can't just heal me or why can't I pray it out of me? I'm being faithfull, I'm seeking His will, I'm actively living out my faith so what am I doing wrong? It is so much easier for us to focus on why God isn't healing us or why we aren't "fixed." I can't see the big picture yet- I don't know what God is trying to do in my life with these struggles but I am aware that He is right in front of me, guiding me if I am willing to accept these struggles and believe that in His time he will either heal me or show me the purpose of my struggles. We walk by Faith not by sight, right?

    Lindsay Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,
    I think Lindsay has part of the answer to how faith in the Great Physician works. I've come to accept that I am going to become irritated and anxious about certain things. I don't like that I get that way, and I've asked God many times to remove that irritablity and anxiety. But it still comes. What I'm learning to do is stop expecting God to just quickly fix and and begin to use tools that see me through. His healing of me requires a faith that is active, not just a wish. To trust him means to walk in that anxiety or irritation and learn to navigate by His grace using prayer and other tools until it passes. Does that make sense?
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete

Comments are eagerly encouraged. However, any comments that do not address the post in some way or are inappropriate for whatever reason will be removed.