Sunday, September 11, 2011

Power Made Perfect

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Could it be that God can use my weakness more effectively than my strength?  That it is actually through the exercising of my weaknesses that I develop a true dependence upon the ability of the God rather than the ability of myself?  That what God asks of me is not to be good at anything but relying completely on Him?
Recently, I've felt a strong calling to work on things in life and ministry that I am simply not good at doing.  I sense a divine urging to pursue ends that require gifts and strengths that I lack.  I am not good at following an effort through from beginning to end.  I'm not good at building personal relationships past the surface using my own initiative.  God is calling me to follow some things through and to build some relationships beyond the surface.  The thing is, if I were to answer that call and follow that urging, I would either need to be given gifts that I do not currently posses, or watch God accomplish what I cannot naturally accomplish myself.  I am uncomfortable with this.  I enjoy doing things I'm good at that come to me without much effort.  What I would rather do is play off of my strengths: work to make the environment ripe for me to accomplish things out of my power rather than my weakness.  I don't want to deal with the frustration, impatience, and discipline that come with doing things I'm not particularly good at.  

Spiritually, this line of reasoning translates that I would rather be dependent upon myself than upon God.  Whether I do something because it's easy for me to do or because I'm forcing myself to do it, I'm not depending on God.  The only way I can move into obedience is to enter the trenches of faith and have the active trust to rely on God with every step.  If I'm called to follow through on some tasks or relationships better, the key is not pressing my will into action - it's meeting the Spirit of empowerment in a way that will allow God's power to be made perfect in my weakness.  This looks like prayer.  It looks like partnering with people who stretch and teach me to rely on God.  It means being willing to humble myself and wait for God to work according to God's own prerogative.   

1 comment:

  1. Faith is a beautiful thing. This reminds me of Jesus standing out on the water and reaching out to Peter to join him. When I "step out" in faith that story reminds me to trust God. I'll either walk on the water successfully or He'll pull me up if I sink. Relying on God takes the fear away.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are eagerly encouraged. However, any comments that do not address the post in some way or are inappropriate for whatever reason will be removed.