Friday, May 13, 2011

The Good Shepherd

"Behold, I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out...I will seek the lost, bring back the scattered, bind up the broken and strengthen the sick; but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with judgement." Ezekiel 34:11,16

I love it when God takes matters into His own hands. God's people had demanded that they be able to lift up human leaders so they could be like the rest of the nations. God allowed this, anointing kings and calling prophets to the task. But most prophets and kings cared little about how God desired His people to be led. They cared about the same things most people care about - power, popularity, and filling the bellies of their own families even at the expense of others. This led to a pattern of horrible leadership that bred social injustice, greed, and oppression, not to mention the blasphemy of sinful people using God's name to promote their own agendas. This passage in Ezekiel exhibits that God so loves His people and so desires that they be led to eternal life that He refuses to allow humans to lead them astray. "Enough of this! I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out! I will bring back the ones who have run far away because of your corrupt leadership, I will mend the backs you've broken under the weight of economic and social oppression, I will revitalize the ones you've stolen livelihood and self-worth from, and those who have benefited from the injustice against my people, I will give you the chance to seek my mercy by filling your lives with the destruction you've brought on the vulnerable." This scenario plays itself out time and again in our world. This is not a biblical story isolated to Ezekiel's day. We demand human leaders whom we can lift up and follow only to find ourselves time and again beneath their feet. Let me be clear that I am not blasting big government or the heavy hand of politicians. I am trying to point out a culture that puts its hope in sinners rather than the everlasting God of love. Even when we subscribe to this culture God's voice speaks clear into the darkness we've had a hand in creating. God takes matters into His own hands, seeking the scattered, binding the broken, healing the sick. But God doesn't stop with those who've been victimized by the powerful. He also comes to us when we're they ones who've exploited others in an effort to satisfy our insatiable appetite for power, worldly wealth, and fading glory. He loves us too by bringing us back to the place where we are in need of a Shepherd who's in the business of lifting up the lowly.

"Lord, you are the Good Shepherd who lays down His life for His sheep. I give you thanks for finding me when I was far away, for healing and strengthening me and even for humbling me when I have sinned against you and your people. Forgive me for seeking other shepherds and for trying to take your place as one myself. Free me again to lie down in your green pastures I pray in Jesus name, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are eagerly encouraged. However, any comments that do not address the post in some way or are inappropriate for whatever reason will be removed.